Negotiation Skills Course Overview
Negotiation Skills course will equip participants to understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating. The Negotiation Skills course will give participants a sense of understanding of their opponent and have the confidence to not settle for less than they feel is fair. Participants will learn that an atmosphere of respect is essential, as uneven negations could lead to problems in the future.
Negotiating is about resolving differences. Therefore people who can master the process of negotiation find they can save time and money, develop a higher degree of satisfaction with outcomes at home and work, and earn greater respect in their communities when they understand how to negotiate well.
Negotiating is a fundamental fact of life. Whether you are working on a project or fulfilling support duties, this negotiation skills course will provide you with a basic comfort level to negotiate in any situation. This interactive negotiation skills course includes techniques to promote effective communication and gives you techniques for turning face-to-face confrontation into side-by-side problem-solving.
Upon completion of this negotiation skills course, the students will be expected to:
- How often we all negotiate and the benefits of good negotiation skills.
- The importance of preparing for the negotiation process, regardless of the circumstances.
- The various negotiation styles and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Strategies for dealing with tough or unfair tactics.
- Skills in developing alternatives and recognizing options.
- Basic negotiation principles, including BATNA, WATNA, WAP, and the ZOPA.
- Define the stages and elements of the negotiation process
- Develop the skills and techniques of a successful negotiator
- Identify optimal win-win solutions in negotiations and make profitable deals
- Differentiate negotiation styles and mental models, analyze their own and their partner’s behavior in negotiations
- Learn to counter manipulation and psychological press in negotiations
Negotiation Skills Course Learning Outcomes
Students completing the negotiation skills course will be able to:
• Describe the actions taken on different stages of negotiations; appreciate and
explain the importance of pre-negotiation and post-negotiation phases
• List the roles and functions in negotiation teams; demonstrate the skills of
organizing and managing negotiation teams
• Formulate and apply the instruments of negotiation strategy and tactics
• Identify the zone of possible agreement (ZOPA) in negotiations
• Explain the functions of the best alternative to a negotiated agreement (BATNA);
recognize and use BATNA in negotiations
• Distinguish positions from interests in negotiations; discover interests of the other
side in negotiations; create interest maps
• Identify different negotiation scenarios
• Differentiate methods of dealing with conflict according to K. Thomas and R.
Kilmann; choose the suitable model as the situation requires
• Differentiate negotiation mental models according to L. Thompson; identify and
change the partner’s mental model
• Describe negotiation styles in different cultures; adjust negotiation tactics to
• Explain the role of the media and external interest groups in negotiations; prepare
PR and media relations plan to support the negotiation process
• Formulate objective and subjective trust-building factors; apply trust-building
methods in negotiations
• Perform persuasive speech techniques
• Use the methods and algorithms of revealing and countering manipulation
• Formulate and apply psychological principles of successful negotiations
• Practice methods of transactional analysis for establishing constructive dialogue
Topic # 1. Introduction. What is negotiation?
• Negotiation vs other social interactions
• Aspects of negotiation research and practice
• Aspects of negotiation
Topic # 2. Preparing the negotiations
• Goal-setting: identifying your goals, options and criteria of success
• Identifying your BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement) and ZOPA
(zone of possible agreement)
• Assessing the other side, red-teaming
• Learning about catalysts and barriers of successful collaboration
• Designing a negotiation plan
• Creating a negotiation team
Topic # 3. In the room: the actual negotiation stage
• 3 phases of actual negotiations: initial phase, exploratory phase and finalization
• Rational and emotional elements of trust, cultural and psychological differences of
• Tactics for promoting a constructive negotiation climate
• Positions and interests in negotiations
• 4 negotiation scenarios: win-win, win-lose, lose-win, lose-lose
• The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument in negotiations
• Leigh Thompson’s 5 negotiation mental models
• Negotiation styles
• Persuasion techniques
• Instruments of negotiations
• The role of outside actors in negotiations: the media and interest groups
• Finalization: overcoming impasse
• Reaching an agreement, types of agreements
Topic # 4. Negotiation strategies
• Positional bargaining
• Principled negotiations by Roger Fisher and William Ury
• Mixed negotiating by Willem Mastenbroek
• 3-D Negotiation by David Lax and James Sebenius
Interim assessment: colloquium
Topic # 5. Countering manipulation and psychological press
• The methods and algorithms of revealing and countering manipulation
• Transactional analysis in negotiations
Topic # 6. Post-negotiation stage
• Implementation and compliance
• Post-negotiation assessment and evaluation
Topic # 7. Special negotiation cases
• International and cross-cultural negotiations
• Crisis negotiations
Because negotiation skills are required at all levels of an organization and in a variety of other circumstances, this program will benefit any professional who leads and manages projects, processes, and teams, or who deals with internal and external stakeholders.The Business Negotiation Skills course is the optimal choice for professionals who want to learn the skills to achieve a successful negotiation outcome.
The program was mind blowing, I have already recommended the program to two individuals and I am willing to do more myself.
Nwachukwu EmmanuelGlobacom Ltd, O & M Officer
Body of knowledge that gives a full grasp of project processes. A very important program for any individual that desires a change in career and new challenges.
Henry OkoyeAccess Bank, Banker
JK MICHAELS HAS GOT FANTASTIC PROGRAMS WITH GREAT CONTENT DELIVERED WITH EXCELLENCE.
MOWAIYE BAMIDELENIGERIA BREWERY
THE PROGRAM WAS VERY EDUCATIVE, INFORMATIVE AND WELL EQUIPPED WITH A VERY CONDUCIVE ENVIRONMENT AND VERSATILE FACILITATORS.