Lean Six Sigma for healthcare is a combined process-improvement methodology that accelerates processes, increases efficiency, and reduces or eliminates variation.The goal is to make healthcare more efficient, more effective, with higher quality and fewer errors – and, in the process, save lives.
Has your organization attempted to reduce costs but only realized short-term results? Have patient care and ED throughput and capacity constraints become serious issues for your hospital? Using Lean Six Sigma it is possible to significantly bring and keep costs down and improve patient care, throughput and capacity (including ED, surgery, discharge time of day) by 5 to 15 percent.
- Participants in this training program will learn how to utilize lean six sigma principles by building a structure to deploy healthcare business strategy. Also, participants will learn how to integrate healthcare system’s strategy, core processes and customer and provider requirements to achieve and sustain performance. At the end of this training program, participants should be able to:
- Recognize the need and key attributes of a successful lean six sigma program in an organization;
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of a certified Lean Six Sigma Belt in a healthcare organization;
- Understand the fundamentals of the DMAIC problem solving methodology;
- Use basic lean six sigma tools for project definition and process baseline, and improvement analysis, implementation, and sustainability;
- Understand the need for advanced problem solving and improvement methodologies used by project teams; and
- Integrate lean six sigma knowledge and tools to successfully implement, deploy, and sustain process improvements.
Our Lean Six Sigma program gives you valuable business tools to achieve process excellence and help your team do more with less.
- Know seven key concepts of aggressive cost reduction.
- Be able to implement ten practices for initiating rapid cost position improvement identified in the “Good to Great in Healthcare” research.
- Understand the relationship between medical errors, process waste, waits and delays, and lost productivity and cost recovery.
- Understand the seven types of waste and eight proven techniques to remove waste, optimize throughput and recover associated costs.
- Lean concepts and its applications in healthcare, such as 5s, waste reduction, value stream mapping, and error proofing;
- DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) to solve healthcare issues and transition CPI projects from one phase to another;
- Basic statistical analysis methods and tools to determine key relationships between health system inputs and outputs;
- The integration of both lean and six sigma for achieving data-driven process improvement results in healthcare systems; and
- Team dynamics and leadership in healthcare domain to provide effectively successful healthcare projects.
- Know how to formulate three to five year strategic process goals for both waste removal and cost recovery .
- Become familiar with research from other industries and leading healthcare systems that highlights techniques for reducing process waste and converting error reduction and waste into productivity gains.
- Learn how to implement the 21 Day Workout method, a rapid cycle, robust management method for implementing aggressive cost reduction and Lean Six Sigma’s DMAIC method.
- Be exposed to “Good to Great in Healthcare” research, a study of low cost performers compared to high cost performers, illustrating practices for quantum improvement.
- Learn how a case study that uses comparative data to set stretch goals and project targets for clinical, operations and supply chain could be applied similarly to your organization.
Case studies, exercises and examples will include application of Lean Sigma tools to improve on-time starts in the operating room, to reduce hospital-acquired infections, to improve patient throughput in the emergency department, to reduce length of stay and to improve patient discharge times