EFFECTIVE PROJECT MANAGEMENT COURSE OVERVIEW
Effective Project Management is a 3-day action-learning course of instruction led by a certified facilitator in a formal classroom environment. It is designed to provide personnel with a practical application and understanding of the project management principles, concepts, tools and techniques applied across the organization, along with the global standards from which they are derived.
This effective project management course will teach you how to manage each phase of a project: conceptual, planning, execution, and termination. The primary objectives of Effective Project Management are to 1) empower personnel with the vocabulary, knowledge competencies and basic performance competencies necessary to intuitively understand and function at a high level in their project implementation and supporting roles and 2) to organize and execute their own day-to-day work in a more efficient manner using modern project management concepts and methods.
Effective Project Management employs effective accelerated adult learning techniques (addressing visual, auditory and kinesthetic learning styles) to ensure each student succeeds at a high level. The course agenda is action-oriented and fast-paced, allowing students to learn-by-doing in a simulated project environment. Course exercises begin on the morning of day-1 with students organized in simulated Project Teams (Integrated Product/Project Teams – IPTs) initiating a hands-on project. The effective project management course proceeds with student IPTs planning the project, executing the project, monitoring/controlling the project, then formally closing the project. The last exercise at the end of day 3 requires each student IPT to prepare and present their project using Microsoft project software.
The simulated project involves the planning and construction of a fictitious prototype vehicle. The planning team achieving the highest profit wins a $1B contract to manufacture the inaugural space vehicles.
EFFECTIVE PROJECT MANAGEMENT COURSE OBJECTIVES
What you will achieve
- Greater confidence in defining, planning, and managing projects
- Deeper understanding of core project management competencies
- Build a project management plan with your project team in a simulated project environment
- Practice applying project management skills
- Increased effectiveness and efficiency
- Ability to plan and track project with Microsoft Project software.
Effective Project Management Objectives
What you will learn
- Global Project/Program Management Standards
- The five process groups and ten knowledge areas as defined by A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOKÂ® Guide)
- How to build a world-class project management plan
- Using Scope, Cost, and Schedule baselines as a means of evaluating project progress and incorporating Earned Value measurement
- Writing clearly defined project statements
- Clarifying project objectives with measurable outcomes
- Avoiding potential problems through planning and communication
- Evaluating the projectâ€™s success and lessons learned
- Clarifying roles and responsibilities to improve team performance and accountability
- Building, motivating, and leading a high performing project team
- Communicating effectively with your team, management, and clients
- Creating effective written communications for your projects
BENEFITS OF EFFECTIVE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- You”ll learn the most important project management skills and techniques
- You”ll gain practical experience of applying these main techniques
- You”ll boost your confidence in your ability to plan and manage projects
- You”ll gain practical advise and tips from an experienced project manager
- You”ll be able to plan, execute and track projects using microsoft project software
- Opening Remarks and Housekeeping Items
- Project Management Global Standards
- The Project/Product Life Cycle Concept
- Life Cycle Management
- Initiating the Project
- Developing a Project Charter
- Project Finance
- Planning the Project
- Performing a Stakeholder Analysis
- Developing a Project Scope Statement
- Creating a WBS
- Developing a Network Logic Diagram
- Developing a Risk Register
- Estimating Project Cost
- Developing the Cost Baseline
- Controling Project cost using Earned Value Management
- Day 2 Opening Remarks, Housekeeping Items, Questions
- Developing a Communications Management Plan
- Developing a Schedule Baseline
- Project Change Control
- Managing People
- Developing a Project Management Plan
- Executing, Monitoring and Controlling the Project
- Project Kickoff/Launch Meetings
- Project Execution
- Closing the Project
- Final Results
- Lessons Learned
Microsoft Project Software Training
Who should attend
All personnel whose work directly or indirectly supports projects (including entry-level project/program managers) and all personnel who can improve the efficiency of their day-to-day work by applying modern project management concepts and methods.
JK Michaels has a conducive environment for learning and the people are very accommodating the various courses outlined were covered extensively.
Nwaeke PeterMTN COMMUNICATIONS LTD
JK Michaels project management training has improved my organizational skills.
Boluwade Yinka PMPJOHN HOLT PLC
The program is a very enlightening, intensive & practical based. I see it revolutionizing modern day systems of operation even in a culture as diverse as Nigeria.
Yetunde OlatoyeTOTAL NIG. PLC.
Neat & world class learning environment. Breathtaking delivery from the facilitators.