Digital Health Course Overview
The JK Michaels Digital Health course equips students with the knowledge required to ensure that the health sector gets the best out of technology and the opportunity to work with a high calibre group of people with similar aspirations to make a difference to health/medical settings.
Why Choose This Digital Health Course
Are you passionate about health? Are you seeking to make a difference in the health domain? The JK Michaels Digital Health course offers a unique opportunity to consider how technology can make a transformative impact on the health/medical sector and improve the lives of patients. The area of digital health is experiencing rapid growth, with the market in Europe alone expected to be worth over 300 billion euros per annum by 2020. However, a key challenge for this rapidly developing area is the lack of appropriately skilled people worldwide, namely professionals who have an understanding of health/medicine and Information Systems. The JK Michaels Digital Health course will address this gap, contributing to a niche area of expertise at the cross section between health and technology. This programme combines teaching and innovative research in Health and health information systems in healthcare settings providing students with the opportunity to develop highly sought after skills preparing them for the workplace.
Digital Health Course Outcomes
- On successful completion of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced analytical and problem solving skills associated with effective practice;
- Engage in advanced application of IS/IT frameworks and techniques in organisational settings;
- Communicate and work effectively to a high professional standard;
- Leverage IS to improve healthcare organisational performance;
- Improve healthcare through the application of leading edge technology solutions;
- Research, plan, design, develop and manage an innovative digital health solution, by critically analysing and interpreting data, and effectively disseminating results.
Digital Health Course Outline
The application of technology in health is experiencing rapid growth and the field is seeking qualified professionals to optimise technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the healthcare domain.This interdisciplinary course, led by Business Information Systems in collaboration with the Medical Education Unit, is suitable for qualified applicants aspiring to work in the health sector. The JK Michaels Digital Health will provide business and health/healthcare professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to plan, design, implement and manage leading edge health technology while remaining cognisant of the ethical, security and data protection implications arising from such scenarios.
As part of this experience, students will act as a business consultant, mentored by industry experts, to create an innovative health information systems solution or digital health focussed dissertation addressing a real business need or opportunity in a setting of their choice.
The course provides participants with a critical understanding of how information systems are used to improve and create efficiencies in health/healthcare settings and positively influence patient care and patient health outcomes. It is a new programme with internationally recognised faculty at the forefront of digital health/health information systems research. Students will study modules on
- Fundamentals of Digital Health
- Introduction to Healthcare
- Computer Information Technology for Health Professionals
- Decision Support and Data Analytics for Health
- Healthcare Economics
- Seminars in Healthcare Information Systems
- Principles of Computer Science and Software Development
- Information Technology for Health Informatics
- Database Principles and Applications
- Community Health for Health Informatics
- Business Management and Communication for Health Informatics
- Public Policy for Health Informatics
- Current Trends in Health Informatics
- Ethical and Evidence Based Health Data
- Clinical Trials and Data Management.
Dr. John I. Sutter: Health Sciences and Healthcare Administration B.A., New York University
M.S., New York Medical College
M.D., Far Eastern University (Philippines)
Dr. Mansoor Dawood: Computer Science, Management Information Systems and Management B.S., Ned University of Engineering and Technology
M.S., Wayne State University
Ph.D., Mehran University of Engineering and Technology
Dr Bello Omololu Lead Consultant JK Michaels:Healthcare,Project management,process management;Leadership,Information system architecture,business analysis,strategy
MBBS:University of Jos,Plateau State Nigeria
Ed.D:Doctorate in Educational Leadership,University of Atlanta